The beverage industry is witnessing a dynamic shift as consumers prioritize their health, seek sustainable options, and crave personalized experiences. As we step into 2023, it's crucial for businesses to understand the evolving landscape of consumer packaged goods (CPG) and stay ahead of the curve. In this blog, we'll explore the top beverage trends to watch out for this year, ranging from the rise of non-alcoholic and low-alcohol options to the growing demand for sustainable practices and immersive experiences.
Rise of Non-Alcoholic and Low-Alcohol Beverages:
Consumers' focus on health and wellness continues to drive the demand for non-alcoholic and low-alcohol beverages. Factors such as the desire for healthier alternatives, increased awareness of alcohol-related health risks, and the influence of sober-curious and mindful drinking movements have contributed to this trend. Expect to see a wide range of innovative and flavorful options that cater to those seeking refreshing alternatives without compromising on taste.
- Kin Euphorics: Kin Euphorics creates "euphorics," which are alcohol-free beverages designed to uplift and enhance social experiences. Their drinks combine adaptogens, nootropics, and botanicals to create unique flavour profiles and provide a relaxed, social buzz without the use of alcohol.
- Ghia: Ghia is a brand that offers a non-alcoholic aperitif. Their product is made with natural ingredients, including botanicals like gentian root, fig, and rosemary. Ghia aims to provide a sophisticated alternative to traditional alcoholic aperitifs, allowing consumers to enjoy a complex and flavorful beverage without the alcohol content.
- Monday Gin: Monday Gin is a non-alcoholic gin brand that focuses on providing the flavour and experience of gin without alcohol. Their gin alternative is made with botanicals and carefully selected ingredients to create a distinct taste profile that can be enjoyed in cocktails or as a standalone drink.
These emerging non-alcoholic CPG beverage brands in North America cater to the growing demand for alcohol-free alternatives and offer innovative, flavorful options for health-conscious individuals, those participating in movements like Dry January, and individuals seeking alternative social beverages.
Plant-Based and Alternative Ingredients:
The plant-based revolution is here to stay. As more individuals adopt vegetarian, vegan, or flexitarian diets, plant-based beverages are gaining popularity. Traditional alternatives like almond, oat, and coconut milk have become mainstream, and new plant-based ingredients are being explored to create unique and nutritious beverage options. From fruit and vegetable blends to innovative nut and seed-based drinks, the plant-based movement offers exciting opportunities for both consumers and businesses.
- Califia Farms: Known for its almond milk and plant-based dairy alternatives.
- Koia: Offers plant-based protein drinks made with almond milk and brown rice protein.
- Vive Organic: Offers cold-pressed wellness shots made from organic and plant-based ingredients.
- Oatly: Known for its oat milk, Oatly offers a range of plant-based dairy alternatives.
Sustainability and Environmental Consciousness:
With growing environmental concerns, consumers increasingly demand sustainable packaging, eco-friendly manufacturing processes, and ethically sourced ingredients. Brands that prioritize sustainability and communicate their environmental initiatives effectively will likely capture consumer attention and loyalty. Expect to see more eco-friendly packaging materials, biodegradable options, and greater transparency in supply chains, as consumers become more conscious of the impact their choices have on the planet.
- JuneShine: JuneShine is a hard kombucha brand that focuses on organic and sustainably sourced ingredients. They use solar energy for their brewing process and package their products in eco-friendly materials.
- REBBL: REBBL creates organic, plant-based beverages that are crafted with ethically sourced ingredients. They are committed to environmental sustainability and supporting fair trade practices. Their product line includes adaptogen-infused drinks.
Functional and Wellness Beverages:
Consumers are seeking beverages that not only quench their thirst but also offer functional benefits. This trend includes drinks with added vitamins, minerals, probiotics, adaptogens, and other ingredients known for their health benefits. Whether targeting specific health concerns or promoting overall well-being, functional beverages provide a convenient and enjoyable way for consumers to take care of their bodies. Look out for innovative formulations that cater to specific health needs and personalized wellness goals.
- OLIPOP: OLIPOP offers a range of functional sparkling sodas that combine prebiotics, botanicals, and plant fibre to support digestive health and overall well-being. Their beverages come in various flavours, providing a healthier alternative to traditional soda drinks.
- Vizzy: Vizzy is a hard seltzer brand by Molson Coors that focuses on functional benefits. They offer a variety of flavours infused with antioxidant vitamin C from acerola cherry extract, providing both refreshment and immune support.
- MUD\WTR: MUD\WTR is a coffee alternative brand that has expanded its product lineup to include rise Matcha and balanced Turmeric beverages. These functional beverages offer natural energy and anti-inflammatory properties, respectively.
Ready-to-Drink (RTD) and Convenience:
Convenience remains a significant factor driving consumer choices. Ready-to-drink beverages, including canned and bottled options, are increasingly popular among busy individuals seeking on-the-go refreshments. Advances in packaging technology and distribution have made it easier to provide convenient and portable beverage formats. Keep an eye out for new packaging innovations that offer convenience without compromising on taste or sustainability.
- Starbucks Pink Drink: Starbucks is set to release new ready-to-drink (RTD) beverages, including the highly anticipated Starbucks Pink Drink, which combines strawberry and açaí flavours with coconut milk and fruit juice
- Loverboy: Loverboy, a US RTD alcohol company, is undergoing a packaging refresh to attract consumers. They offer healthier alcoholic beverage options, including functional sparkling drinks with lower sugar content.
As we venture into 2023, the beverage industry is witnessing exciting transformations driven
by consumer demands for healthier options, sustainability, customization, convenience, and immersive experiences. These trends reflect a shift in consumer preferences towards beverages that align with their values, lifestyles, and desire for unique experiences.